Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day Trip: Hayes Presidential Center + First Ladies' Go Red Exhibit



I don't remember my mother reading "Mother Goose" to me (that often) as a child.  Don't feel badly for me, though...


Instead, she generally read stories to me from a reference book--about the U.S. Presidents; providing me with a true love of history. My undergraduate degree is in History and my graduate degree is in Public Administration, so I think her selection of story reading had a favorable impact upon me (smile).


As an adult, I've begun to visit the homes of the U.S. Presidents--one by one... See a related post here.


This past Saturday, Mark and journeyed to Fremont, Ohio (not far from where we live).  We enjoyed a tour of President Rutherford B. Hayes' home (It was gorgeous, and more of a mansion than a mere "home.") and the Rutherford B. Hayes Museum/Library.


What's truly fascinating is that the museum was hosting a special exhibit in cooperation with the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women campaign (see why this is a cause near and dear to me here). The exhibit featured red dresses worn by a select number of American First Ladies and various celebrities (on behalf of the Go Red for Women campaign).


The lives and apparel of the American First Ladies have become a recent fascination of mine as well.  See a related post here.


My fave celebrity dress was Emmylou Harris'...


This red dress was once sported by First Lady Lucy Hayes...


These pics were all taken onsite at the Hayes Presidential Center.  And, yes, this is what I wore. It was still a bit cool and breezy; plus, we did scads of walking that day. So, this ensemble worked quite well.

Top: L.L. Bean (love this one)
Scarf: Coach (gifted; updated version)
Gray Jeans: Forever 21(majorly affordable)
Sneakers: Converse (very similar option)
Sunnies: Vera Bradley
Handbag: Rebecca Minkoff
Watch: Kate Spade (gifted)
Garnet Bracelet: c/o Anjolee
Siberian Jade Bracelet: Vintage Tiffany (Etsy)
Nails: Essie Angora Cardigan
Lips: NARS Scarlet Empress


Joy & peace, T.

This post will be linked (on Tuesday) to Style SessionsGaray Treasures and Confident Twosday.  On Wednesday, I'll link to The Pleated Poppy and Whatcha Wearing Wednesday