Sunday, January 25, 2015

Style: Rich Details...



Years ago, while vacationing in Pennsylvania, my youngest, oh-so-precocious son (then, in grade school) looked at me (approvingly) and told me ( in earnest), "Mom, you dress rich."  It made me smile, then; and, it still does, now (a little more than 15 years later).


It doesn't take a lot of money to "dress rich."  In fact, anyone can do it.  Here are a few of my "tips" for adding "rich" details to whatever you're wearing...


Wear an animal print (or two). Doing so in small does (e.g. via an accessory (like a scarf) or a blouse tail peeking out from underneath a sweater (like my python print blouse is), works well.


Carry a structured, good-quality handbag. The one I'm toting is a well-made classic.  Best yet...I scored this mint beauty for $38 at an antique shop while traveling last spring.


Sport a quality statement clothing piece. My vintage J.Crew bomber jacket fits the bill...


Don't be afraid to layer! This time of year, layering keeps me warm.  Aside from that, though, it ramps up the chic factor by creating added interest to any ensemble.

Leather Bomber Jacket: Vintage J.Crew (Etsy)
Sunnies: c/o Firmoo
Scarf: Boutique along Lake Erie (Sawmill Creek Resort)
Sweater: Vintage (Sportables)
Blouse: Lucky Brand
Jeans: Calvin Klein
Boots: Vintage Kinney (Vintage Vogue, Bloomington, IN)
Gloves: Vintage Coach (gifted)
Handbag: Vintage Dooney & Bourke (Old Capital Antiques, Frankfort, KY)


What are your suggestions for creating a "rich" look to any ensemble? Would love hearing them!

Joy, hugs and peace! T.

BTW, I'm linking this post to Not Dead Yet Style (Sunday) and the Two Birds' Inspiration Monday (Monday).  This post will be linked (on Tuesday) to Style Sessionsand Confident Twosday.  On Wednesday, I'll link to The Pleated Poppy and What Wives Wear.