Thursday, July 3, 2014

Splurge vs. Save...



About a year ago, I sifted through scads of outgrown, discarded pieces of clothing my youngest son left behind (before heading East to graduate school). I found the t-shirt (featured in this post) amongst those things.


He made it some years ago--with friends.  I'm not even sure he ever wore it, but he made it--which makes it special to me.  Plus, it's gorgeous, isn't it?


I wore this treasure to work on casual Friday, last week.  Thought it was perfect paired with the thrifted silk skirt I bought this past spring.  Given the color palette in this shirt, it was super-fun as well as easy to pair accessories with this outfit, too.


Interesting thing about the skirt... I'd been looking for silk skirt to wear this summer...


 Before spending a lot of money, I decided to check out a local thrift shop and see what they had to offer. As you can see, I hit the jackpot with my mint condition, $5 snag.  It was definitely much cheaper than this one (which retails for $398!)!


The folks at Credit Card Insider invited to me to write a post dedicated to spending money responsibly as part of their "Splurge vs. Save" campaign. Since responsible shopping is something I wholeheartedly embrace (see this past post about mindful shopping), I was glad to participate in this worthwhile endeavor!

 T-shirt: Youngest son made years ago!
Silk Skirt: Thrifted
Belt: J Crew
Sunnies: Gifted (thank you, Andrew + Amanda!)
Shoes: Zara
Handbag: Kate Spade Saturday
Glass Beads: Vintage (antique shop)
Men's Watch: Pulsar (gifted)
Slip-on Bracelet: Kohl's
Goldtone Bracelet: Fossil


What's your fave splurge vs. save triumph?  Would love hearing about it!

Joy & peace, T.