Friday, January 3, 2014

Embracing my French This New Year...


Over my (now passed) holiday break, I enjoyed reading Debra Ollivier's What French Woman Know: About Love, Sex, and Other Matters of the Heart and Mind.  Post reading, I have decided I'm gonna make an effort to mindfully embrace my roots in 2014...


You see, I'm French American.  I smile when I say that--as my mother used to constantly remind me, "We're French."  My great-grandmother actually was. She immigrated to the U.S. at the turn of the 20th century from France's Alsace-Lorraine region.  I barely remember my great-grandmother, but I do have fond memories of my grandmother (her daughter).  Fiercely independent, outspoken, artistic and always impeccably groomed and dressed, she embodied her French heritage quite well.


From everything I have read (and, I've begun to devour a lot on this subject matter), the French culture (generally) disavows perfectionism, prizes leisure time, looks for simple joys in daily life, heralds artistic endeavors and values femininity as a power source. I find all of this to be highly appealing. How about you?


I've ordered two more books about French culture. Both are by Jamie Cat Callan:  Ooh La La!: French Women's Secrets to Feeling Beautiful Every Day and Bonjour, Happiness!  Can't wait to dive in and give them both a read.  Perhaps I'll do so (as time permits) in front of my lit fireplace--with a pot of hot tea at hand and my feet propped up...

Fisherman's Sweater: Tommy Hilfiger (consigned)
Silk blouse: Charter Club (thrifted)
Dress Pants: Ralph Lauren
Gloves: Target
Blue Topaz on Silver Chain: Gifted
Booties: Nine West
Sunnies: Firmoo


Share with me your thoughts on Parisian style, the French culture, good reads you've encountered as of late, or anything else you'd like to share.  I would truly love hearing them!

Joy and peace! T.