Monday, October 29, 2012

It's Intuition...Not Magic

Celebrating my intuitive via my art journal (October 2011)

There's a line in an older Train song; something to the effect of "Her confidence is tragic, her intuition magic." Quite frankly, I think that's tragic--the fact that something so innate could be thought of as hocus pocus of some sort.  Don't get me wrong, I like that song... I'm just not buying into this particular statement.  

We all have it. It's inborn. It is our sixth sense.  There's nothing mystical about it. And, it's not spooky, either.  

Intuition is that inkling you know something isn't quite right, that inner understanding you already know how to proceed in difficult times, that little voice that urges you to do differently...  Certainly, it's like a muscle. If it doesn't get used, it gets weak.  Nevertheless, it's still there, and can be tapped into at any point in time.

In my book, Eternal Presents: Accepting and Using the Precious, Intangible Gifts Others Give Us, I have dedicated a whole chapter to intuition as a gift.  My creative pursuits have even been used to help me develop my intuition even further.  

My intuition is something I can remember first accessing as a little girl of about three or four years old; hanging doll clothes onto a child-sized clothes line.  I knew I was being watched.  Turns out, I was right.  A large snake lay coiled about three feet behind me.  Afterwards, I kept telling my grandmother that I knew, beforehand, something had been watching me.  She affirmed the fact that I was right, and should always honor those feelings.  

Throughout the years, I haven't always listened to those inner whisperings generated by my Wise Self.  Sadly enough, society generally hasn't encouraged me to do so.

As I've grown older and, yes, wiser, though; I have reclaimed this precious gift.  It's one I use daily, cherish and understand is not magic--just another aspect of me that I've deservedly claimed.

If you have owned your right to your intuitive gifts, you understand where I'm coming from.  If not, it's not too late to do so. I'd recommend this simple strategy to acquaint you with your own Wise Self: for a period of time (maybe a month or so) take note of every time you receive those thoughts of inner knowledge...and follow up with how many times you ended up being correct.  You may feel like you've discovered how to pull a rabbit out of your hat.  Not so; you've only learned to honor your ever-present (innately-gifted) intuitive.

Joy, peace and Monday hugs! T.