Monday, September 17, 2012

On the Journey & Little Steps Taken...

My art journal is a place where first steps are often taken.

Saturday evening, post a wonderful afternoon art journaling workshop with like-minded women and dinner out, Mark and I ventured forth for a walk.  It was a beautiful fall evening.  The sun was still shining brightly, and there was just a slight chill in the air.

We decided to hike the local college campus, a favorite spot of ours.  Passing by one of the buildings there, Mark stated matter-of-factly, "Do what you love."

"Huh?" I said.

"It's on that sign," he noted while pointing. Sure enough; there it was, prominently displayed in what appeared to be someone's office window.

"I wish I could," I said, sigh in my voice.  Mark countered, "I think you are doing what you love."

"Well, yes," I said, "But, only during the early morning hours, evenings and weekends."

I remember hearing the sound of the wind softly rustling the leaves in the trees as he simply said, "The longest journey begins with a single step."  Huh... Point well taken.

His sage words forced me to think even further...  Yes, I am on a journey.  From all indications, I am not alone.  Others walk this same path as well.  Some are further along; others a few steps behind me.  Our destinations vary.  Along the way, we stop to offer each other support, joy and friendship.

I've toyed with this a lot, recently--my sojourn to that magical point of "arrival."  I keep reminding myself that joy is not found in where I end up. It is the walk, itself--the steps taken each day--that I must savor and celebrate.  The inspiring people encountered, cherished interactions, wisdom gleaned from others' experiences...how could the destination be any better than the journey itself?

Thanks for taking this path with me.  Joy and peace to you this lovely autumn Monday morning!  T.