Monday, September 3, 2012

Drilling Down: Themes from Summer 2012

A peek at my art journal summer 2012 brag list...

Late last month, I proposed a fun art journaling project (the same one I engaged in at the close of summer 2011 entitled My Summer Brag List).  This weekend, as planned, I carved out an hour--just for myself--to savor memories from this summer and record them, as her close approached.  And, yes; you guessed correctly--candlelight and a cup of hot tea were at hand (smile).

Like last year, I used one page of the art journal to display a collage representing themes from the summer (nearly) past.  The second page is where I recorded highlights and accomplishments onto a magazine image glued into the journal (for more information about this art journaling technique, feel free to check out this earlier post).  This year, I in included a few more written images in my collage; words, phrases and quotes, summarizing summer 2012.

The written images, I included are as follows:
  • "No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting." -- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
  • "What matters most is that we learn from living." -- Margaret Mitchell
  • "What's essential to me is harnessing inner strength..." (from a magazine ad)
  • "Om" 
  • "Style"
  • "Confidence is the single most beautiful thing that a woman can wear every day." (from a magazine ad); and 
  • "Feeling Good."
My intention, when I began this project, was to gain personal insight.  Having recently finished reading Danielle LaPorte's fabulous text, The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success On Your Own Terms, I applied a concept she encouraged in her book.  I drilled down.  What this means is that I explored the words, quotes and phrases I had selected a bit further--gave them even more definition.  Take "Om" for example.  What that means to me is "inner calm" or "peace."  The word "tranquility" sums this up nicely for me.

Listed below, are my personal, drilled-down conclusions related to the season rapidly drawing to its close:
  • Wisdom (Yup, I read non-fiction.  So, when I read, I'm feeding my mind!);
  • More wisdom (this time from life's experiences (even the challenging ones) rather than via books, workshops, classrooms, etc.);
  • Courage;
  • Tranquility;
  • Creativity; 
  • Self-assurance;
  • Proper perspective; and
  • Health (The phrase "Feeling Good" represented thoughts of both body and spirit to me.  Therefore, I chose two themes for this one phrase: "proper perspective" and "health.").
Summer is officially with us through the autumn equinox.  So, there's still plenty of time to make a date with yourself and drill down a bit.  It's amazing what one can excavate from within. 

Happy Monday or (for those in the U.S.) happy Labor Day!  T.